Monday, June 7, 2010

Journal of Hope (Entry 6)

12/8/09 (Day 6 of survival)

It was five in the morning when I woke up from my troublesome slumber. I decided to open one of the many windows that Kylie had programed to be secure, but allow us to get fresh air once and a while and gazed out into the horizon. I couldn't believe what I saw. A massive gathering of zombies had flocked to some foreign source of food on the horizon about 4 miles away. My stupidity got the best of me as I went to the nearby hunting store and changed into a Camouflage T-shirt and matching pants. I slid on some heavy duty and light pair of boots and headed to the salon. If I was going to keep myself out of range with those zombies, my hair would need to be short again. I quickly grabbed the biggest pair of scissors that I could find and put my hair in a ponytail. I took the scissors and chopped off the base of the ponytail right below the hair tie. My hair fell into uneven clumps on the ground as I took some of the combs equipped with blades and evened it into a shaggy, razor cut hairstyle and called it good. I decided that if was going to keep myself hidden a little better, I would have to color my hair as well. My red hair was too noticeable from afar. I grabbed a package of jet-black hair color and drenched my hair in it.

It was almost 7 by the time my hair was finished. Luckily for me, everyone in the group were late risers. I went back to the hunting store and caked my face and arms with camouflage paint. It was time to set out to kill some zombies. I knew that if my comrades saw me I would have to change my name to match my new description. I realized that Leon would recognize me the second he saw my eyes if given the chance. Against the hard green of the camouflage paint, my hazel eyes appeared to glow. I ran to a tattoo parlor and found some eye color contacts. I remembered back when I was 15, how I always wanted Blue eyes and always dreamed of getting some of these contacts. I grabbed the darkest blue eye color I could find and gently placed them on my eyes.

It was time to act fast and get out of the mall before anyone could wake up, so I bolted to the only exit I knew of that I could get out of with ease, the roof. I equipped myself with my favorite dual pistols, an assault rifle, a hunting rifle and several slings of ammo with combat knifes scattered throughout my persona. I took the emergency stairs up to the roof after carefully disarming and rearming the emergency alarm. Once on the roof, I carefully climbed down the side of the building using drain pipes to safely get down. When my feet hit the ground, I began my voyage to the horizon to investigate the zombie gathering..

I had almost reached the parking lot when a familiar voice stopped me. There, standing before me was Dr. Sean. How he had gotten out, I had no idea. But I wasn't going to allow him to stop me!

"Shay, you may look different on the outside now, but you can't run from your pregnancy. Especially now since there is little to no chance of an abortion clinic being open during the Zombie Apocalypse." He said to me in a harsh but gentle tone.

"Who said I'm running from it? You and I both know that I cant be with the group right now or else they'll be in danger! Look, I'll be back before you know it, just don't tell anyone where I'm going ok? Let's just say I'm off to get some retribution and when I come back I'll be a new woman."

"I never said anything about where you're going Shay. Just, that you shouldn't do it or else you might regret it later. Think about the options for both you and the baby. If you go out there, the chances of your survival are about 2 in a million."

"Then I guess I'm going to take my chances Dr. Sean, because I can't be with the group right now. So when I return, I expect you all to be alive and well! Also, don't go looking for me! Don't let anyone come looking for me!" I ran towards the horizon with my back to the doctor who was still trying to convince me to stop and come back to the group. I knew now that I had just made the decision of a lifetime, and that now, I couldn't go back....

I turned and saw Dr. Sean returning back the way he had gotten out, which surprised me. He had gotten out by simply using the ground floor door to some restaurant or something. I shook my head and continued my voyage into the barren city. It was extremely hard to navigate only knowing that the zombies were about 4 miles from the mall. I searched the nearest library to see if I could find a city map. Luckily, there was a grand abundance of maps as I grabbed one and headed back into the street. I found the little street I was on and tried to estimate what street the massive horde of zombies was on, but after 3 blocks of navigational estimates, I was horribly lost.. I found a small bookstore and decided to hold up for the night there. I pushed shelves in front of the door and cut the power. I found a small closet that I could lock my self in and get easily out of. With my pistols close to my head in case something should come along, I curled up in my little closet and fell fast asleep until I could begin my search again in the morning.

TBC...

No comments: